Ways to Give
We believe a strong community is one where we all look out for each other. If you do too, please consider a donation. Every dollar makes a huge difference in the lives of local people. It’s tax-deductible, and it will be put to work immediately.
You can help us lend a hand to people like the disabled woman who needed
assistance with the purchase of a car to drive her children to school, the
repair of electrical service for a senior whose system was damaged by a fallen
tree, or the rental deposit for a family of six moving to a new home.
Donations are tax deductible as provided by law. Our federal tax ID# is 68-0197586.
There are many ways to donate to West Marin Community Services:
- Online with your credit card, debit card, or PayPal account. Please consider a monthly donation so we can count on your ongoing support. Select monthly donation amount in the drop-down menu and click subscribe below.
West Marin Community Services
P.O. Box 1093
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956
Bring your food donations to the Food Pantry in our office at 11431 Highway 1 during office hours (Monday through Friday, from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-5:00). We especially appreciate canned protein foods and fruits and vegetables from your garden.
Goods & Vehicles
- A car, boat, truck or other vehicle that you no longer use
Donate it to WMCS. We’ll make arrangements to tow it away, you will receive a tax receipt, and we will get the proceeds from the sale of the vehicle. (To make sure your vehicle qualifies, contact the Center for Car Donations at 877-411-3662, centerforcardonations.com)
- Quality Goods for the Thrift Store
Drop off your items in clean, usable condition during Thrift Store hours daily 10:00-5:00pm.
You can generally save income taxes when you donate appreciated securities (such as stocks, bonds or mutual funds) to West Marin Community Services.
- If you've held the security more than one year, you avoid capital gains taxes and get a full fair market value deduction if you itemize deductions on your tax return.
- On the other hand, if you wish to donate depreciated securities, it is generally more advantageous to sell the securities first and then donate the proceeds.
- Please discuss this strategy with a trusted tax or investment advisor to make sure you will benefit, as everyone's situation is different.
You may direct your brokerage to transfer the shares to:
West Marin Community Services
Vanguard Brokerage account 48013031, DTC Code 0062
Please let us know the shares are coming so we can send you a tax receipt and thank-you letter after they arrive. (If you don't let us know about the transfer, we won't know it came from you, as Vanguard is prohibited from telling us.)
If your stock or mutual fund shares are already at Vanguard, please contact Vanguard for the proper paperwork for an in-house transfer. If you wish to transfer Vanguard mutual fund shares, our Vanguard mutual fund account is 88064177645.
In rare cases, our Vanguard account will not be able to accept your security. Please call us to find an alternative.
There are many different options, offering a variety of tax advantages, for including WMCS in your estate planning and leaving a legacy for the community.
For example, include us in your will or living trust or make West Marin Community Services the beneficiary of your Traditional IRA. Directing your IRA custodian to make WMCS a beneficiary can be a tax-wise strategy that is free (or inexpensive) and easy to implement.
Other strategies, offering various advantages, are more complicated and may require the services of an attorney. Please call us at 415-663-8361 if you would like to discuss a gift of this kind, or consult with your professional estate planner.